Thursday, April 29, 2010

Chinatown

Did I tell you that Chinatown is right next to the Philadelphia Convention Center? Always a great addition to any show. And bound to make showing my quilts at Paradise City Arts Festival in Philadelphia even better.

I had forgotten how Chinatown here is a real place--it feels like it should--food, the smells, people on the streets, the outdoor markets with fruits I've never heard of, people talking in Chinese.

This time I ate cheaply--a Chinese buffet with four courses, fried rice and chicken soup for the unbelievable low price of--$6.  The best was the fried bananas--yummy. Needless to say there were a lot of Chinese in that restaurant. Even the TV was broadcasting a station--I believe from Hong Kong--I don't know my cityscapes that well. Interesting perspective on the news--I couldn't understand a word but saw pictures of Gordon Brown, Barack Obama, the French dealing with burkhas and riots in Thailand.  They had pictures identifying the countries--the Eiffel Tower, the British flag. I loved the ads of the multitudes of Chinese people.

Then to the gate. The one here is so ornate and complete. Don't you just love all the textures and colors?



Here is a close-up. Patterns and textures everywhere--but held together by the repetition of color and shape. There are quilt patterns here.




Another building had this wonderful dragon on a pole framing the doorway.


 


Look at the claws of the dragon--so graceful but powerful.


 


This was another doorway I loved--contemporary. The door is made of steel--looks very solid--and the surrounding bricks are a glazed red. The whole feature is wonderful and elegant.


 


Then there was this wonderful mural on the firehouse.


 


The close-up shows the dragon again with the vent included in the design.



 Don't you love the firey dragon on the fire station. So what do you think? What is your favorite Chinatown?

1 comment:

  1. What I think is that I can't wait to see your Chinatown-inspired quilts!

    ReplyDelete