Wednesday, May 4, 2016

the quilts of Ann Brauer--May showers edition

OK--isn't there a saying that May showers bring June flowers? Or something like that. After a really warm February (which did a number on my forsythia), a cool March and a dry April we are finally getting some much needed rain. Yes, I would love a couple of nice sunny days but t has been perfect weather to plant my early spring crops--lots of onions, celery, swiss chard, and of course peas.

It has also been perfect weather to make quilts--which is good since Shelburne Falls is having its first ArtWalk of the season May 7 from 2 until 6. What a perfect time to plan a trip to our little village. The Bridge of Flowers is absolutely glorious, the rain has made the flowers spectacular and the hills are turning that wonderful shade of spring green. Lots of galleries will be open with special events. And then there are the restaurants--need I say more?

I have been working on lots of new quilts that continue to explore the circles that I started creating. Don't you love how "ocean sunrise" dances above the water?

ocean sunrise--40x57 inches--ann brauer 2016--photo by John Polak

This really new quilt "it might as well…"  reminds me of the splendor of gardens in the spring. It is part of a series of imaginary landscapes I have just started to create that are smaller and more intimate. I think it is about 16 x 40 inches if I remember correctly.


it might as well--16x40 inches--ann brauer 2016

And there is the meditative landscape of "desert days". Don't you want to just fall into that horizon?

desert days--quilt--37x57 inches--Ann Brauer 2016


Meanwhile if you can't make it to Shelburne Falls this week-end, the next ArtWalk will be June 18 from 2-6. I will be doing the Berkshires Craft Show in Great Barrington August 12-14, and the American Craft Exposition in September in Glencoe, IL but more of these later. Of course my studio is open almost every day but Tuesday (although calling first is a great idea)  and I continue to keep my Etsy shop well stocked. http://www.etsy.com/shop/annbrauer

I hope you have a joyous spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment