Thursday, May 15, 2014

the new bench

Now I admit I am lucky. I could after all walk across the Bridge of Flowers in Shelburne Falls every day from my current studio to get my cup of coffee. Usually I don't though. After all, I am building a new studio (yes, moving day will be really soon!!!!) so I just use the Iron Bridge and maybe take a peek at the construction. I do have priorities after all.

However, I knew that my friend John Sendelbach of Metalstone Gallery had created and installed a new bench on the Bridge and I just had to see it. After all, I consider him to be one of the many brilliant artists and artisans in Shelburne Falls. I had followed the construction of this bench and just had to see it for myself.

All I can say is WOW. This bench is simple and wonderful in its simplicity. Look at the lines in the wood. The river is flowing around the rocks. Great isn't it?

Bench--Bridge of Flowers--Shelburne Falls--MetalStone Gallery

But then it is time to absorb the details. Aren't the stones embedded in the river brilliant?

Bridge of Flowers--bench--2014

Each stone is different and worth examining carefully.

Bridge of Flowers--bench--2014





How gracefully they move in the water--just like the rocks that create the Glacial Potholes.

Then there are the "feet" of the bench. Of course, more rocks.

Bridge of Flowers--bench--2014




But look more carefully and see how the arches reflect the arches in the Bridge of Flowers. Sweet detail, isn't it?

Of course you can observe even more--maybe even sit on the bench--when you visit the Bridge. The flowers are spectacular this year. More on that later if I get a chance.

Saturday is the annual plant sale to support the Bridge. Plants from the Bridge itself, supplies, tools and bedding plants. Always a must for any gardener--or anyone who just loves the Bridge.

Bridge of Flowers--plant sale--2014
Then of course you can stop by and visit me at 6 Bridge Street one more time. View the outside of my new studio across the river and then see what else John is working on at Metal Stone Gallery on State Street. For more information on the Bridge of Flowers: http://www.bridgeofflowersmass.org/
For information on John Sendelbach: http://johnsendelbach.blogspot.in/

If you still have time check out some of the other wonderful galleries and studios in town. How lucky we are to have such talented artists in town.




No comments:

Post a Comment