Tuesday, May 20, 2014

pacing myself

From my cutting table I can look across the river and see my new studio progressing. Who is working today? I check out the vehicles. Watch what is going in. Soon, I tell myself. Soon. I will be there.

This week-end my wonderful step-children came for a visit. Of course I had to take them over to see my studio. They are both so busy they had only seen pictures before. When we walk in, I have to pinch myself that this place will indeed be mine in a week or so. Will they finish it in time? What will they be doing while I am in? Can't worry though too much. It is fabulous. The floors are the most wonderful grey polished concrete. They shine in their glory. The windows are light and airy. The lines are amazing. Oh I can't wait to show you all.

My neighbors ask if I am packing just yet. I explain that my life involves constant packing. After all, every time I do a craft show I pack most of my quilts. My display. My clothes. Drive to the show. Set up the booth. Take down the booth. Drive home and set up the studio--hopefully--a few less quilts. This is a skill I have perfected over the years. Remember I managed to be open for business after Irene so quickly that many thought I had planned the move before Irene.  Need I remind you. I hadn't.

One thing I have learned is that if I start packing too soon--if I quit making the quilts that I need to have to sell--I get nervous and waste time. Part of my life involves me organizing my time efficiently. Yes, I know that sounds very business like and almost sterile, but I like to make quilts. Being efficient lets me make more of them.

Another thing I have learned is that I have to be in the groove so to speak to make the quilts I want to make. When I return from a show, I have to get back into the groove. It takes a while.

So instead of getting nervous, I decide I must make a new quilt. After making the teal placemats, I decide I must make a teal quilt. Not large but good sized. Light and airy. The colors of the ocean. A quilt that will look great in the new studio.

teal placemats--13x19"--Ann Brauer


I think of my quilt--cold ocean. But this time I want it warmer.

cold ocean--45x45"--Ann Brauer


I start. As always I tell myself--make what I know. The greys. The teal progression.

twilight--quilt--Ann Brauer

I do like the rich colors. Need to get some more when I find them. I feel like I am hunting for just the tiniest scraps to add to the piece. Yes, I think I will go to dark sooner rather than later.

twilight--quilt--Ann Brauer

I like the effect of the sky against the beach. I think I need to add a row at the top.  Don't put in the sand color. Hmmm. I think about it. What about blue? That might anchor it.  Create the power of the sky against the grey. Worth trying.

twilight--quilt--Ann Brauer

How will it look when sewn together? Does the blue distract? Only one good way to find out. As I hand sew, I try to plan the move more. How should I do it? What goes first? How do I keep my fabric in order so I can find it easily? Where will I put my design board? I try not to get nervous.

twilight--quilt--32x48"--Ann Brauer

Yes, that does tie it all together. Aren't the colors rich and lovely? Now to finish it off. Press it. Clean off the threads. Take a few pictures. Figure out what to do next.


What do you think? How do you plan a move?










1 comment: