Friday, September 28, 2012

the quilts of Ann Brauer--legends of the dawn

Dear all,

I know. I didn't send my monthly newsletter last month.  But  I am still here. Still working hard. Indeed the reason was that I have been working too hard. As many of you know, I have been doing lots of experimenting with piecing very skinny strips of fabric. As those who have seen my eyeglass cases or pillows, these strips produce wonderful intense colors and textures that I just want to run my fingers over. I have also included them as accents in some of my wall hangings.

But after I returned from the American Craft Exposition in Evanston, IL I realized that I wanted to make a large--as in LARGE--size quilt using these thin strips. 

Finally--after coming in early and leaving late, I got the quilt sewn together yesterday. It is too big to snap a picture of the whole quilt in the studio although many who have seen parts of it have loved it. To some it seems very essential and simple. Yet others have noted that in its simplicity it is also a demanding quilt. There is definitely a substance about the back that enchants me.  I have decided to name it--legends of the dawn.

OK--I do have to show it off. Yes, it does look different from many of my quilts. Here is the bottom part of the quilt draped over two ladders.




Above the red stripe is a study in grey.




What do you think? An interesting new direction or not?

 If you want to see the whole quilt I will be at the Paradise City Arts Festival October 6-8 at the Three County Fairgrounds in Northampton. For more info or discount tickets do check out their web site: http://www.paradisecityarts.com If not at a show, I will be working in the studio most days. And in November I will be at the Providence Furniture Show at the Pawtucket Armory November 2-4 http://www.finefurnishingsshow.com and the Washington Craft Show November 16-18. But more on those next month.

And for those who sew--did you see my article in the most recent issue of Machine Quilting Unlimited--where I tell how I make the more familiar quilt as you go wall hangings.

Well, this e-mail has gone on forever. Please forgive me.  I hope to see many of you this month or next.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I wish I could see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms Lottie. I will post a picture of the whole quilt once I get it hung at the Paradise City Show. I too am eager to see it.

      Delete
  2. Which month of the magazine is your article in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen,

      My article in Machine Quilting Unlimited is in the most current issue--September/October 2012. Hope you can find and enjoy. I should also have an article coming out in Quilting Arts Dec/Jan.

      Delete