Sunday, February 2, 2014

the quilts of Ann Brauer--dreaming the rainbow



Amazing it is February already. Groundhog's Day to be precise. Will Phil see his shadow? Does it matter? After all last year or was it the year before, he did not see his shadow and still winter went on and on and on. Oh well, the days are getting longer. And the Baltimore Craft Show is February 21-23. ( For discounted tickets you can go to   https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2014-american-craft-council-show-in-baltimore-tickets-8022827493 and using this code BWI2014GUEST. I am Booth 4209. Just saying)

Anyhow, I got inspired and have been working really hard. You see, I decided I had to make a joyous quilt. One that incorporated all the colors of the rainbow. A friend told me a story that if life hands you a lemon--and I know it is a cliche and I am paraphrasing her story--then paint a rainbow. And I think that is what I have been doing.

The quilt is almost done and it is too large for me to show finished--it is about 99x99 inches--until I get its formal image taken--but here is the sneak preview.


dreaming the rainbow--Ann Brauer--2014

And here is the quilt almost done. Yes, it is bright. Yes, at first glance the colors may seem a bit expected. But I think if you look at it closely there is the sparkle of the fabric and the unexpected choices I made while trying to make the quilt look more contemporary. Or at least I hope that is how people will see it. Alas I forgot to take a close-up. You will just have to see it. The back is also spectacular too with the quilting stitches.

dreaming the rainbow--Ann Brauer 2014

And this is the reason that I had to make a quilt about rainbows. Can you believe that soon--a month or two at most--this will be mine? Isn't it the most beautiful building in Shelburne Falls if not the entire West County area? Don't worry there will be a grand opening once I get settled in. I'll let everyone know. The second floor will be a two bedroom rental with amazing views. My studio at 6 Bridge Street will remain open until I move.

2 Conway Street--Ann Brauer

Please excuse me for going on so much this month. I do hope I will see some of you at the Baltimore Show. In March I will be at the Paradise City Arts Festival in Marlborough, MA and then I will do the Philadelphia Furniture Show in the beginning of April. But more of that later.

I now have more than 100 items in my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/annbrauer

Thanks for reading.






No comments:

Post a Comment