Tuesday, June 23, 2020

stormy coast--an old friend returns for a visit

Sometimes I get the chance of revisiting an older quilt which I had almost forgotten about. In this case, the quilt had been safely tucked away in a closet at a gallery. I had barely remembered it was there when I went looking for something else.

What fun it was to see it again almost like reuniting with a friend you haven't seen for quite some time. So much in common although your lives have also changed. Don't you love all the different colors and fabrics. The sweep of the ocean and the curves of the coast. It was fun to see how I had worked three separate panels together to tell a story. And of course it was fun to remember some of the fabrics which I had used up years ago.

stormy coast--quilt--Ann Brauer--2015--37 by 39 inches--photo by John Polak
One of the aspects of this quilt I had forgotten was that the quilt could be rotated for a different effect. This one almost looks like grasses coming into the sky doesn't it.

stormy coast--Ann Brauer--quilt--2015


And this orientation could be a gentle rain. I am not sure. What do you think?

stormy coast--quilt--Ann Brauer--2015

Here are a couple of details for those who are curious.

detail--stormy coast--Ann Brauer 2015
detail--stormy coast--Ann Brauer 2015
Would I make the same quilt again? Of course not. Even if I tried for the same effect, my knowledge of how to manipulate fabric and the effect of different patterns has changed. Of course I also don't have the same fabrics. Need I say more. But I still like this quilt and put it on my Etsy shop so maybe it can find a new home. http://www.etsy.com/shop/annbrauer

What do you think? Do you ever get a chance to contemplate older pieces and see if they still hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment