Monday, July 7, 2014

the wind up

OK-- by now--as you just might already know--I moved into a new studio. Yeah!!! Friends told me my work looks absolutely fabulous. Never have they seen it look so good.

September fields--quilt--Ann Brauer--2014

And sure enough, within days, my big quilt--September fields--is headed for its new home. Yeah!!! Again.

But that means that I need to make another new quilt. After all, I am doing the Berkshire Craft Show August 8-10 in Great Barrington, MA. Should I cheer again? And then The American Craft Exposition in Evanston Augut 22-24. Yikes, what was I thinking.

Well, there is no time to think. I have to start--NOW. But what to make. Truth be told, I am not always feeling creative. Especially not when I am building a new studio. (Not that that is something I do often--but lots of my energy goes to deciding what color the door should be, what about the color of the tile in the rental unit upstairs. And how can I promote the new studio?) You get the gist.

But I can't hold a pity party. I must dig deep and think quickly. I know I want the quilt to have lots of color in it. I do after all have a black and grey quilt--winter light--which is fabulous. So I want something different and joyous.

winter light--99x99"--Ann Brauer--2013--quilt

I look around me. This is a quilt I made as a test for a large quilt that never happened. Yes, I love the sweep of the colors. So rich and wonderful.


quilt by Ann Brauer



But is it too "country"? Too much design in the fabric? I wonder.

Maybe it would look more "modern" if I had thin stripes running through it.  Yes, these quilts have names and better pictures. But this is how I was thinking. Put them up in the studio. Stand back. Think and ponder.

quilt by Ann Brauer

I love the sweep of the colors. But while the white looks fantastic in this smaller quilt, would it be too busy in a large quilt?  I try to visualize it.

Maybe dark would look better? More like September fields. Hmmm.

quilt by Ann Brauer


Well, it is time to make what I know. I can't fret about the new quilt too long. Fretting after all takes up time and energy. So I start. One long thin strip of yellow.


quilt by Ann Brauer

Now it looks like I am getting somewhere, doesn't it?

I organize and play with the next row. Arrange and re-arrange the colors. How quickly do I want the progression to happen? What will it look like when the quilt is done. After all, this quilt will be BIG.

quilt by Ann Brauer



Time to start. These seams are long.

quilt by Ann Brauer

Nice colors though aren't they? Now it seems like I am getting some place. If only I can continue. One row at a time. 

And you--how do you start a big quilt? Do you find the wind up to be the hardest part? Do you just jump in? Do you go back to what you have made before to find inspiration? Is this a trick for keeping your style consistent?

And most importantly, how will I get it done before those two craft shows?  Will it take on a life of its own? Can I just keep going?

For more information about the Berkshire Craft Show at Monument Mountain High School in Great Barrington now in its 41st year.   www.berkshirecraftsfair.or
And the American Craft Exposition at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL. www.americancraftexpo.org

1 comment:

  1. I love your oft repeated refrain to "make what you know." I found myself using it today as my mind raced ahead of my actual place in the project. Best wishes with the quilt-- I'm sure it will be great!

    ReplyDelete